Friday, November 14, 2008

Get your own website


There's nothing like having your own website to make you feel like a real writer. And lets just say it now, if you feel like a real writer, and you're writing, then who's to say you aren't. And besides, a website costs almost nothing and is really easy to make. There are a million ways to get your own website, I use iweb from apple, and they host it for me. I just make a page, click on publish and there it is. 

Incidentally, my website is available at www.soulvariations.com

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that the website comes in useful when I contact agents. I've written some letters to agents and at the end of the letter I've given them the link to my website. Then on my website I've got a bit about me and my book, what a cool guy I am, what a cool book I've written, and it's really easy for them to visit the website. Maybe no one will visit the site. But maybe one or two agents will, and that means I've had a few extra minutes of their attention for free. And I'm going on the assumption that a minute of an agent's time is worth the hours it took me to make the site. 

So that's my next piece of advice. The next step I took. I've made my own website that makes me look and feel like a real writer. Only time will tell if it helps. 

I just took a look at the hit counter on my website and it's at 57. That's a lot of visitors! Only thing is I keep visiting it myself so I'm sure about 50 of those visits were me, and the rest were probably my mom. I love you mom. 

No comments: